Monday, April 6, 2009

Monopoly vs. Catan

Wired had an excellent article two weeks ago on German styled board games.

Follow the link:
Monopoly Killer: Perfect German Board Game Redefines Genre

The article focuses on Settlers of Catan, a fine game that is mechanically more dynamic than traditional American board games like Monopoly and Risk. While still a relatively simple game when compared to other German board games such as Puerto Rico or even Power Grid, Settlers is a game that seems to walk the fine line between simple and complex.

When I was a kid, I was sure that by the time I was an adult, board games would be a thing of the past, and that people would be looking primarily to video games as a stay at home social activity. While the second half of that is probably true, the first half is certainly not (or at least that is my experience).

The truth is, I don't think that most popular American board games are any good. Risk is far too simple (though I will confess to being a fan of the 2210 variant and I haven't played the updated board game), Monopoly is just a dice-fest with little to no strategy, and Scrabble's game board is so agonizingly painful to play on that my friends and I replace the double and triple word tiles with additional double and triple letter tiles (Word games should encourage you to build long words that open up additional playing opportunities for other players, not limit your vocabulary to words that don't open up double and triple word tiles for your opponents).

I'm glad to see that some more complex board games are making the transition to mass market. As a game designer, it means that more and more people may be interested in the kooky and crazy games that I would like to develop. As a gamer, it means that I might actually be able to find other players for more challenging and fun games such as Power Grid or Race for the Galaxy (take it from me, don't try and teach your parents that one).

If you've just tried Settlers of Catan, or another more complicated board game for the first time, feel free to comment on your experience, and I encourage you to continue trying newer and more complicated games. As time goes on, I will be posting more and more recommended board games to this blog, but if you are looking for a recommendation right this second, I will simply point you to http://www.boardgamegeek.com.

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment