Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sign Up for the Battlefield Heroes Beta!

So I have not been blogging for about a week now, but there's a pretty good reason for that. I just got into the Battlefield Heroes beta, and have been immensely enjoying that. I won't talk about it too much for fear of breaking my NDA (though the NDA does a terrible job of telling me what I can and can't do).

However, I will tell you that the game is excellent, and since I got the chance to play the game at New York Comic Con, I can at least tell you things which pertain to what I learned at that convention.

Battlefield Heroes is a fairly traditional multiplayer shooter with highly stylized cartoonish graphics a la Team Fortress 2 that is monetized through appearance and exp-boost microtransactions. While you can outfit your character with new weapons and abilities, all of that stuff is free, meaning that the most advantage you can derive from microtransactions is faster leveling.

Gameplay wise, the primary game mode is a Conquest gametype, where each team starts controlling one of four flag points on a map. Each team also starts with a number of reinforcements. When you kill someone, the team loses a number of reinforcement points which varies depending on how many flags you control.

The game is fast and loose with physics, and it's sort of hard to take the game too seriously, which is great. There are several basic weapon categories and vehicles which are difficult to handle initially, but great once you get the hang of it. On top of that, the graphics are great and really sell you on the whole package.

This post feels like a little bit of a cop out since I'm not actually saying anything, but if there's one thing to take away from the post, it's to go to http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/, sign up for the beta, and keep your head up for more information about this fun, casual FPS that almost anyone can get into.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment